Amigos de los Animales is a non-profit organization. We receive no government or private foundation funding, but rely on help from our supporters. Our community of volunteers is essential for running a successful shelter. Whether you help by adopting, volunteering, or donating items or cash, your generosity is greatly appreciated!
All volunteer jobs require a time commitment of only 3 – 4 hours per week. Here are some ways you can help:
- Walk dogs;
- Cuddle and socialize cats;
- Bazaar (thrift store) clerks (thrift store is air-conditioned);
- Help with building maintenance – painting, electricity, plumbing;
- Evaluate, diagnose, repair small appliances, computers and other electronics;
- Use your seamstress and crafting skills to make pet blankets and toys;
- Plan, organize and execute a fund raising event;
- Pick-up donated items;
- Wash / groom dogs;
- Assist our vet with pet care;
- Hold an adoption fair – help with local and international pet placement;
- Use your office skills to help with record keeping and data entry;
- Promote education about the importance of proper pet care and sterilization;
- Invite your family, friends and neighbors to volunteer at Amigos de los Animales;
The Fostering Program at
Amigos de los Animales
The Fostering Program allows animals to receive special care away from the shelter, prior to being adopted into their Forever Homes. There are many reasons why a cat, dog, kitten or puppy might need foster care. Some puppies and kittens arrive at the shelter much too young to be adopted and may need to be bottle fed before being able to eat on their own. A nursing mom with a litter of puppies or kittens copes much better in the quiet of a private home. This is also true for a cat or dog recovering from surgery. Some animals arrive at the shelter extremely thin and nervous – traumatized from living on the street. They rebound well in the safety of a calm, home environment. All kinds of training, play and socialization make our animals more adoptable.
Fostering an animal in need is an immensely rewarding experience. Basic food and supplies are provided by the shelter, as well as instruction on how to care for the animal. If you are interested in more information, please call our shelter manager, or stop by the shelter during business hours.
Bring Us Your Expertise
Call or visit today to see how your skills fit the needs of the animal shelter.
Recurring Monthly Donations
Our non-profit animal shelter is constantly in fund-raising mode – especially during the summer months. During this time there are fewer volunteers to walk dogs and work in the bazaar. As the summer drags on, there is a serious depletion of the funds set aside to cover expenses during the hottest months – when utility bills are exponentially higher and the rate of adoptions is lower. At times it becomes necessary to postpone non-emergency medical attention for the animals, because there is not enough money to cover these costs.
Some of our generous donors have set up recurring monthly donations – money that benefits the shelter every month. It is an efficient way for a supporter to give. It also allows the shelter to improve long-term planning and decision making, knowing that a certain level of money will be deposited each month.
Please consider a recurring monthly donation for Amigos de los Animales. Ask your friends and family to join you in giving – so we can continue to provide quality care for Mazatlán’s street animals.
Here’s how to set up your monthly donation:
- Visit our webpage – http://www.amigosdelosanimalesmzt.com;
- Click “English” at the bottom of the first page;
- Click on the yellow “Donate” button in the top, right-hand corner on the second page;
- Fill in the amount of your monthly donation and click the box “Make This Recurring (Monthly)”;
- Complete the form with your PayPal account information OR if you don’t already have a PayPal account, go to the bottom of the page where it says “Don’t Have a PayPal Account?” and click “Continue”.
This will take you to another page where you can fill in your name, address and credit card information for making the monthly donation. Then click “Agree and Continue”.
Your donation will go through PayPal and will be listed on your credit card statement each month as PAYPAL INST XFER AMIGOSDELOSANIMALES
Our List of Needs:
If you have a points reward card, please consider using your free points to help us with basic necessities.
If you don’t have time to shop, we welcome gift certificates.
At the animal shelter we gratefully accept food and supplies that we use every day: Food – Purina dog, cat, puppy and kitten food (dry or canned food)
Pet toys and snacks
Collars and leashes – small, medium and large
Small, medium and large pet carriers
Folding “X” pens
Baby gates for doorways
Newspapers – lots and lots of newspapers
Trash bags (all sizes)
Towels, blankets and sheets (used)
Chlorine bleach, Bleach for Pets, floor cleaner (Pinol)
Disposable syringes, cotton balls, sterile gauze, cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol
Disposable examination gloves
Frontline or Advantage flea and tick medicine for dogs and cats
Pet shampoo, combs and brushes
Large floor fans
Buckets, mops, brooms and squeegees
Rubber and latex gloves
Paper towels and toilet paper
Detergent for laundry, dishes and hands
Food and water bowls for dogs and cats